St. Michael’s Cemetery (TRN-011) was established in 1855 and for the next 50 years was the burial place for most Toronto Roman Catholics, containing more than 29,000 graves. When Mount Hope Cemetery opened in 1900, the number of burials decreased dramatically, but St. Michael’s continued to bury in existing family plots until the 1980s.
The records in the Register of Burials at Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Toronto Archives have been transcribed and proof-read by experienced volunteers who are accustomed to erratic spelling in a variety of writing styles. Particular attention has been paid to the interpretation of surnames.
Each of the four volumes includes a brief history of the development of Roman Catholic cemeteries in Toronto, maps and other illustrations. Fully indexed.
NOTE: These volumes are also available to current Toronto Branch members, free of charge, on our Members Only pages.
The grave markers at St. Michael’s Cemetery (which may provide additional family history information) have also been transcribed and are available as a separate publication.