Potter’s Field Cemetery 1826–1855


Otherwise called the Strangers’ Burying Ground
Bloor and Yonge Streets, Toronto
Compiled and edited by Elizabeth Hancocks, with other members of the Toronto Branch OGS
Published by Generation Press for Toronto Branch OGS, 1983
127 pages, 8.5 x 11 inches

Out of stock

SKU: ISBN 0-920830-14-5 Categories: , , Tags: ,


A transcription of the burial registers of the earliest non-sectarian cemetery in Toronto. Established in 1826, when the now trendy intersection of Yonge and Bloor was far beyond the Town of York, Potters’ Field, or more officially the York General Burying Ground, was the resting place for residents of any economic means. The cemetery was closed in 1855 and over a number of years, many remains and grave markers were moved to the Toronto Necropolis and Mount Pleasant Cemetery. The transcription includes names, ages, and causes of death when available. Also included is a transcription of some 50 grave markers moved from Potter’s Field to Mount Pleasant Cemetery. An excellent introduction makes this book an important addition to any Toronto history lover’s collection.

Recommendation: Use this book in conjunction with the digitized Toronto Trust registers at FamilySearch.org

Additional information

Weight .331 kg
Dimensions 8.5 × 11 × .25 in