This is a transcription of the burial registers from the Cathedral Church of St. James (TRN-0167), the first Anglican church in the Town of York, now Toronto. In the early years of settlement of the Town of York and York County, most of the clergy were of the Epicopal or Anglican church—which meant that Rectors of York and the clergy of St. James performed rites not only for adherents of the Church of England in Toronto, but also for people who were not Anglicans and who may have lived in the surrounding townships. Although not specified, most of the burials would have been in the churchyard until the congregation established a new cemetery on Parliament Street at Bloor Street in 1844. The transcription includes more than 3,200 records from four registers:
Register 1: 31 March 1807 to 29 June 1812
Register 2: 21 August 1824 to 13 October 1824
Register 3: 21 July 1835 to 30 June 1850
Garrison Register: 1824 to 1850
The publication includes a short history of the church with illustrations and maps and a consolidated index. The index can also be consulted in The Ontario Name Index.
NOTE: This publication is also available to current Toronto Branch members, free of charge, on our Members Only pages.