The Toronto Necropolis was was established about 1850 as a replacement and expansion of the Toronto General Burying Ground or “Potter’s Field” which had been opened in 1826 as Toronto’s first non-sectarian cemetery. It is part of today’s Mount Pleasant Group of Cemeteries. Still an active cemetery, it contains the remains of more than 47,000 people. Every legible word on each gravestone has been transcribed, including the names of stone masons when they are present. The book includes an introduction, many photos, maps, and is fully indexed. The index can also be consulted in The Ontario Name Index.
Please note that the Toronto Necropolis Burial Registers have also been transcribed and digitized as part of the Toronto Trust Collection and are available on FamilySearch.org.